photo via getty.
Free airport wi-fi is a great perk for travelers but it can also be a hunting ground for cybercriminals.
A few criminals have begun labeling their own copycat wi-fi networks as “free airport wi-fi” in order to get unsuspecting travelers to log on so they can hack their information.
Here are a few things that you can do to make it more difficult for the criminals:
- Create hard to guess passwords, and change them often.
- Check to make sure that the websites you are using begin with an "https:" address marker and have a lock symbol to the left of them.
- Check for misspellings or poor grammar on the website. These are usually signs that it could be fake.
- Consider using a VPN (virtual private network) to access your office computers.
- Use your own hotspot. Using your own wi-fi cuts out the potential of strangers snooping in on your connection.