Whether you’re lighting a few sprinklers in the backyard or have plans to put on an amateur fireworks display for the whole neighborhood, you really need to be careful when it comes to lighting up the night sky on Independence Day.
According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission, in 2017, about 12,900 people were treated in hospital emergency rooms for injuries associated with fireworks. If you’re going to go ahead with your fireworks plans anyway, here is the safety checklist you should definitely follow:
- Only use legally sold fireworks.
- Don’t mix alcohol and fireworks.
- Wear shoes.
- Never lean over fireworks when lighting and always back up to a safe distance immediately after lighting.
- Keep the garden hose on and nearby.
- Never try to re-light a firework that didn’t go off.
- Only light fireworks one at a time.
- Make sure you have an open and clear area away from homes and trees.(KansasCity.com)